Detailed calculations below:
A fraction consists of two numbers and a fraction bar: 32/40
The number above the bar is the numerator: 32
The number below the bar is the denominator: 40
The fraction bar means that the two numbers are dividing themselves:
32/40 = 32 ÷ 40
Divide the numerator by the denominator to get fraction's value:
Value = 32 ÷ 40
'Percent (%)' means 'out of one hundred':
p% = p 'out of one hundred',
p% = p/100 = p ÷ 100
The fraction 100/100 = 100 ÷ 100 = 100% = 1
Multiply a number by the fraction 100/100,
... and its value doesn't change.
To reduce a fraction, divide both its numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor, GCF.
To calculate the greatest common factor, we build the prime factorization of the two numbers.
Integer numbers prime factorization:
Prime Factorization of a number: finding the prime numbers that multiply together to make that number.
32 = 25;
32 is not a prime, is a composite number;
40 = 23 × 5;
40 is not a prime, is a composite number;
* Positive integers that are only dividing by themselves and 1 are called prime numbers. A prime number has only two factors: 1 and itself.
* A composite number is a positive integer that has at least one factor (divisor) other than 1 and itself.
Calculate the greatest (highest) common factor (divisor), gcf, hcf, gcd:
Multiply all the common prime factors, by the lowest exponents (if any).
gcf, hcf, gcd (32; 40) = 23 = 8
Rewrite the end result:
As a decimal number:
4 ÷ 5 =
As a percentage:
0.8 × 100/100 =
In other words:
1) Calculate fraction's value.
2) Multiply that number by 100.
3) Add the percent sign % to it.